Antipsychotics News: Cariprazine, Risperidone and New Drug Applications
Author: Flavio Guzman, MD
Dr. Guzman has no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Cariprazine for Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia: The FDA Refuses to Review Supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA)
The FDA has refused Allergan’s request to review a Supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) to expand the approved uses to include negative symptoms of schizophrenia . The FDA stated that its preliminary appraisal found the sNDA not sufficiently complete to permit a substantive review.
Cariprazine was found to be efficacious in reducing negative symptoms compared with risperidone in a recent clinical trial published in 2017 .
- Cariprazine is a D2 and 5-HT1A partial agonist (like aripiprazole and brexpiprazole). It also has 5-HT2A antagonist properties.
- Cariprazine is FDA-approved for the treatment of schizophrenia and manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder.
Risperidone: A Subcutaneous Long-Acting Injectable Formulation?
- Name of the investigational compound: RBP-7000
- Drug: risperidone
- Manufacturer: Indivior
- Route of administration: subcutaneous
- Technology: Atrigel, biodegradable polymer
Indivior Inc. has submitted a New Drug Application (NDA) to the FDA for its investigational compound RBP-7000, a once-monthly injectable formulation of risperidone .
The NDA submission includes the results from both a randomized, placebo-controlled phase 3 study of inpatients with an acute exacerbation of schizophrenia and an open-label, long-term safety study .
About Risperidone Long-Acting Injection
- Risperidone was the first second-generation antipsychotic available in a long-acting injectable formulation
- Risperidone microspheres (Risperdal Consta, Janssen) is the only LAI currently available
- Requires a period of overlap of 3 weeks with oral risperidone
- 2-week dosing interval
- Allergan Receives Refusal to File Letter from FDA for Vraylar® (cariprazine) Supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) for the Treatment of Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia. Source: Allergan Investor News. Accessed October 17, 2017
- Németh, G., Laszlovszky, I., Czobor, P., Szalai, E., Szatmári, B., Harsányi, J., … & Marder, S. (2017). Cariprazine versus risperidone monotherapy for treatment of predominant negative symptoms in patients with schizophrenia: a randomised, double-blind, controlled trial. The Lancet, 389(10074), 1103-1113.
- Indivior Submits New Drug Application to U.S. FDA for RBP-7000 Risperidone Monthly Depot for Treatment of Schizophrenia. Source: Indivior Investor News. Accessed October 17, 2017
- Nasser, A. F., Henderson, D. C., Fava, M., Fudala, P. J., Twumasi-Ankrah, P., Kouassi, A., & Heidbreder, C. (2016). Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of RBP-7000 once-monthly risperidone for the treatment of acute schizophrenia: an 8-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter Phase 3 study. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 36(2), 130-140.
Free Course: “SSRIs: The Essentials”
Learn the essentials of SSRIs with our free online course.
One module per week:
- The Mechanism of Action of SSRIs
- Citalopram and Escitalopram
2018 Psychopharmacology Online Update
Earn Up to 36 CME Credits / Year
- Access exclusive updates: new videos every month
- Download our entire library: more than 70 videos
- Earn up to 36 CME credits /year