Pharmacokinetics of Aripiprazole: Clinical Summary
- Orally disintegrating tablets
- Liquid formulation
- IM injection
General pharmacokinetics and drug interactions
- aripiprazole: 75 hours
- dehydro-aripiprazole: 94 hours
Mainly through hepatic metabolism involving two P450 enzymes:
- CYP3A4: dose adjustment might be needed in the presence of inhibitors or inducers.
- CYP2D6: dose adjustment might be needed in the presence of inhibitors.
Pharmacokinetics of oral administration
- Peak plasma concentrations occur within 3 to 5 hours.
- Can be admininistered with or without food.
- According to the manufacturer, a study found that plasma concentrations from the oral solution were higher than that from the tablet formulation.
- Volume of distribution in studies after IV administration is of 404 L or 4.9L/Kg (extense extravascular distribution)
- Aripiprazole and dehydro-aripiprazole are greater than 99% bound to serum proteins (primarily albumin)
Pharmacokinetics of IM administration
- Median times to the peak plasma concentration: 1 hours and 3 hours.
- In one pharmacokinetic study [Boulton,2008], intramuscular aripiprazole demonstrated more rapid attainment of plasma aripiprazole concentrations than oral aripiprazole (78% and 5% of peak plasma concentration [Cmax] values at 0.5 hours postdose, respectively).
More Information on Aripiprazole
- Aripiprazole Indications: FDA-Approved and Off-Label Uses
- Aripiprazole Lauroxil Extended-Release Injectable (ARISTADA)
- Mechanism of Action of Aripiprazole
- Aripiprazole for Schizophrenia
- Aripiprazole for Mania
- Aripiprazole for Depression
- Schatzberg, AF, Nemeroff, C . The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychopharmacology. 4th ed.American Psychiatric Publishing, 2009.
- Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc. Abilify (aripiprazole) prescribing information. Retrieved from http://www.abilify.com
- Boulton DW, Kollia G, Mallikaarjun S, Komoroski B, Sharma A, Kovalick LJ, et al. Pharmacokinetics and tolerability of intramuscular, oral and intravenous aripiprazole in healthy subjects and in patients with schizophrenia. Clinical pharmacokinetics. 2008;47(7):475-85
Free Course: “SSRIs: The Essentials”
Learn the essentials of SSRIs with our free online course.
One module per week:
- The Mechanism of Action of SSRIs
- Citalopram and Escitalopram
2019-20 Psychopharmacology Online Update
Earn Up to 36 CME Credits / Year
- Access exclusive updates: new videos every month
- Download our entire library: more than 70 videos
- Earn up to 36 CME credits /year