Antipsychotics for Schizophrenia: A Clinical Overview
This video lecture is a brief summary of the most recent literature on the evolving field of pharmacological treatment of schizophrenia (see references and further reading).
In this video I discuss the following topics:
- Psychosis and schizophrenia. Why is psychopathology important for understanding benefits and limitations of antipsychotic therapy.
- The latest findings about effectiveness of first and second generation antipsychotics.
- Pharmacological treatment of cognitive symptoms in schizophrenia.
- Goals of treatment and factors that influence prescribing.
Part 1. Psychopathological considerations: psychosis, domains of schizophrenia and antipsychotics
Video length: 2:11
Part 2. Treating positive, negative and cognitive symptoms: the role of first and second generation antipsychotics
Video length: 2:04
Part 3. Goals of antipsychotic treatment & how adverse effects profiles influence prescribing
Video length: 2:53
References and further reading
Gründer G, Hippius H, Carlsson A. The “atypicality” of antipsychotics: a concept re-examined and re-defined. Nature Rev Drug Disc 8:197-202, 2009.
Schatzberg, AF., Cole, JO, and DeBattista, C. Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 7th ed.American Psychiatric Publishing, 2010.
Janicak, P G., S R. Marder, and M N. Pavuluri. Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacotherapy. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010.
Earn CME/SA credits
- Up to 36 CME credits/year
- Up to 16 SA credits/year
- Download more than 70 videos
- Exclusive updates
Free Course: “SSRIs: The Essentials”
Learn the essentials of SSRIs with our free online course.
One module per week:
- The Mechanism of Action of SSRIs
- Citalopram and Escitalopram
2019-20 Psychopharmacology Online Update
Earn Up to 36 CME Credits / Year
- Access exclusive updates: new videos every month
- Download our entire library: more than 70 videos
- Earn up to 36 CME credits /year