This video summarizes acute neurological side effects of antipsychotics: akathisia, dystonia and parkinsonism.
1. Akathisia and Dystonia
- A classification of neurological side effects
- Akathisia ( Clinical features, a clinical video, medications that can cause akathisia and management)
- Acute dystonia (Clinical features, pathophysiology, management)
- Clinical features
- Mechanism of EPS
- Differences between antipsychotic induced parkinsonism and Parkinson’s disease
- Management of antipsychotic induced parkinsonism
- Risk of EPS and D2 occupancy
References and further reading
- Brunton LB, Lazo JS, Parker KL, eds. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 12th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2010.
- Janicak, P G., S R. Marder, and M N. Pavuluri. Principles and Practice of Psychopharmacotherapy. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010.
- Stahl, S M. Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical Applications. 3rd ed. New York: Cambrigde University Press; 2008
PDF: The 2016 ADHD Guide
Free PDF Download
Unbiased information about:
- QuilliChew ER
- Dyanavel XR