Reviewing Bupropion for Depression: An Update with Dr. Derek Tracy
In this episode we interview Dr. Derek Tracy on the use of bupropion for depression.
Dr. Tracy is a Consultant Psychiatrist and the Associate Clinical Director for Crisis, Inpatient, and Rehabilitation services at Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, London.
He is a BRC research fellow and the neuromodulation lead at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Neuroscience, King’s College London. Dr. Tracy also sits on the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Psychiatry.
His team published a review paper in Therapeutics Advances in Psychopharmacology titled “Bupropion: a systematic review and meta-analysis of effectiveness as an antidepressant”.
We discuss the following topics:
- The effectiveness of bupropion as monotherapy and combination therapy, and how it compares to other antidepressants
- The limitations of the literature reviewed
- The importance of considering the possibility of insomnia and agitation when prescribing this drug
- Symptom domains for which bupropion may be more effective and symptoms for which it may be less effective
- The use of bupropion to avoid and treat antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction
- Specific clinical situations in which this drug is a good therapeutic option
Premium Members can download this interview: click here to learn more about premium membership
PDF: LAI Antipsychotics
Free PDF Download
- New formulations (Aristada, Invega Trinza)
- Practical dosing tables
Free Course: “SSRIs: The Essentials”
Learn the essentials of SSRIs with our free online course.
One module per week:
- The Mechanism of Action of SSRIs
- Citalopram and Escitalopram
Advanced 2017-2018 Psychopharmacology Online Update
Earn Up to 30 CME Credits / Year
- Access exclusive updates: new videos every month
- Download our entire library: more than 70 videos
- Earn up to 30 CME credits /year